Saturday, July 13, 2013

Leg of Lamb


It has been years since I prepared a leg of lamb. It's not that I don't like leg of lamb, it's just that they are too big and I usually de-bone them and cut them into smaller roasts.  A few days ago that changed when I cruised by the pre-packaged meat section of a local store and discovered two legs of lamb that had been mis-marked.  After pointing this out to an employee, he just shrugged and said, "well, someone will get a bargain."  That someone was me as I could not pas up paying $.99 a pound instead of the $9.99 a pound true price.  I froze one and the results of the other are pictured above.

I treated the leg like a Boston Butt pork roast, covering it with sugar, salt and pepper overnight and then cooking it over indirect heat on a charcoal grill.  I added some apple wood for smoke and kept the temperature low - between 250 and 325 degrees with the goal being the lower end.  It came off the grill after four hours and rested under foil for another hour to re-distribute the juices.  It was carved and a sauce made of some of the pan drippings, the accumulated juices on the resting platter, some vinegar and some fresh mint all stirred together with a bit of butter at the very end. 

The wine was a 2010 Kinkead Ridge Cabernet Franc which was full bodied, fruity and an excellent match for the lamb.  Lots of bright flavors in the wine of cherries and red currants, great acid and enough tannin to hold everything together.

Kinkead Ridge Ohio River Valley Cabernet Franc.  15.3% alcohol and $20.

No comments: