Saturday, January 10, 2015

Holy Cross Abbey Reserve 2009


I took this bottle of 2009 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from the  Winery at Holy Cross Abbey in Colorado to go with a steak at a group dinner.  I knew that several of the folks who would be there love "big" red wines, and this one checked in at 15.2% alcohol.

It was certainly the biggest wine of the night, full of dark, sweet cherry flavors,  more than its share of oak and a gripping set of tannins.  It was the second favorite wine of the night for the group.

I have to admit that it overwhelmed me with both its jammy qualities and its alcohol.  It left my mouth dry and bitter, even with a bite of  rare steak.  It was just too much and too overpowering for me, and I suspect that I would not have been thrilled by it even if my taste buds were fully recovered from the recent bout with some medication.  Because of that, and the fact that others liked it,  I won't pass judgment on it.  I should add, I had the regular bottling of this wine a year or so ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

2009 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, The  Winery at Holy Cross Abbey, Colorado.  15.2% alcohol.  The wine was a gift.

No comments: