Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Italian Wine Rant

According to this article from Decanter there is anther scandal in the Italian wine world, this time involving Vino Nobile di Montelpulciano. This comes on the heels of the still current fuss over some Brunello de Montalcino producers adding grapes other than sangiovese to their mix.

Vino Nobile di Montelpulciano by law must be minimum 70% Sangiovese, with the possible addition of up to 10% of native grape Canaiolo, while the remaining 20% can be any number of varieties cultivated within the Montepulciano growing area including international grapes.
These producers are now accused of adding wine from outside their region to their mix.

As a consumer I don't ask much except that I know exactly what is in a bottle of wine I am drinking. If it's a cabernet sauvignon I'd like to know that. If it's a blend, that's fine. Just tell me. If it's a regional wine then I would like to know that the grapes are from that region. It's one thing when a con artist and fraud like Hardy Rodenstock feels driven to fake old, rare wines for the high end market, but it is quite another when producers of wines I can afford attempt to con me by adding things to their wines that the rules forbid. Add what you want to make your wine better but just tell me.

It's becoming difficult to trust Italian wine makers.

No comments: