Monday, November 17, 2008

Snow

Snow showers yesterday as things continue to decline on the weather front. I'm just not ready for snow in any form. It's spitting snow again this morning as this is being typed, but there's been no accumulation.

After a big meal on Saturday I shouldn't have been too hungry, but that wasn't the case. It was time to turn on the oven and roast something inside. It turned out to be a small rack of pork. It was rubbed with a mixture of crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic powder, thyme and sage, I seared in in a skillet on top of the stove then popped it into the oven to finish.

The markets are still full of winter squash so this day was a buttercup squash, as opposed to Saturday's Delicato squash. I halved the buttercup, scooped out the seeds and roasted it.

With a German style pork roast it was time for a German wine, and it was a new one for me. I have enjoyed a number of wines from Leitz, but the 2007 Eins Zwei Dry #3 was not one I had run across before. This is a trocken Riesling from the Rheingau and checked in a 12% alcohol. The nose was full of lime and minerals. It reminded me of a young chablis. Definitely crisp and young, the limes came through on the taste along with some tart peaches and perhaps a hint of seawater. There was a very good body and weight to the wine. The minerality was up front in the finish and then just when you thought the wine was done there was brief splash of sweetness at the very end - a tart, but sweet green grape. That was a nice finish.

The pork was delicious and the wine was great with it. I ate about 1/3 of the squash and saved the rest for a buttercup risotto later this week.

No comments: