Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sempre Vive 2006

The first wine I drank on the recent California trip was a pleasant surprise.  There were steaks on the grill and our hosts handed me the key to their wine cellar and said, "pick a wine."  I explained that the process might take two hours, but they insisted.

After poking around a bit I found a wine that I had never tasted, nor had I ever heard of the wine, Sempre Vive Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon from the Romeo Vineyards near Calistoga.  There were two vintages and I pulled out the 2006 primarily because there was only one bottle left of the 2004. 

This was a big wine by any description, but one that had moved into an elegant phase.  It had dark colors and no fading at the edges and a nose of fresh fruit and light touches of cinnamon and oak.  It had full flavors of dark cherries and plums with hints of spice and a touch of graphite.  The acid and tannin provided a solid base for the fruit.  The finish was long and ended with a bit of fruit and enough acid to keep the wine fresh tasting.  Very good blind choice and delicious with the steak. 

Sempre Vive translates as always alive.

Romeo Vineyards Sempre Vive Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Old Vines.  14.1% alcohol and price unknown.

No comments: