Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Wee Dram at Sunset and a Personal Note

The last two days have been both fascinating and sad with the wake, funeral and burial of Edward (Teddy) Kennedy. As much as I find most television to be a waste of time it is events like this that prove its worth. The coverage has been fascinating.

I vividly remember being glued to the television in 1963 after John Kennedy was assassinated, and I still have memories of his funeral. I also remember watching the coverage of the assassination and funeral of his brother Robert in 1968. This is why I felt compelled to watch the coverage of Teddy's services over the last two days.

As 'Taps' was being played in the late dusk of Washington today I took the above photo of a glass of 1992 Oban Distiller's Edition Scottish whisky. It wasn't Irish whisky, but since the family fortune came from importing Scottish whisky into the U.S. that made Scottish whisky the final drink of choice for the evening.

One of my most vivid memories of the John Kennedy saga was a memorial concert shortly after his burial. It was my introduction to Mahler's Second Symphony, the Resurrection. There's a last Oban in my hands now and Mahler's #2 with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic is playing in the background. This was a life well lived.

No comments: