Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Beets - Making Do


One of the pleasures of cold weather early in winter (or near winter) is spending time in the recliner by the front window and reading. In this case I had my nose in a cookbook by Lidia Bastianich, Lidia's Family Table. There were some fresh golden beets in the house so a recipe that caught my eye is pictured above. The beets were roasted and the greens and stems were separated, cooked in water until tender and chopped. I added some red leaf lettuce for color and instead of soft, fresh goat cheese I used freshly grated Pecorino Romano. The dressing was balsamic vinegar, salt and olive oil. It turned out to be a combination of a salad and vegetable to go alongside a roasted chicken. Super good stuff.

More on the wine later, but it was a good meal for a cold day.

No comments: