Sunday, July 31, 2011

Gertrude


What can one say?  It's a wine called Gertrude and it features a pink piggy-bank on the label.  Once in awhile things are so bizarre they warrant a try. 

Officially the wine is la Maia Lina Gertrude Rosso Toscana 2008.  The wine is a blend of 45% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon which I guess makes it a "super Tuscan."  Deep colored wine with a nose of blueberries, dried cherries, earth and meat.  Medium body but full flavor with the fruit predominating.  It really does taste like blueberries. A good hint of wood tannin and a dry finish actually made for a pleasant wine with a grilled pork chop and a little bit of fresh pasta with good olive oil, cheese and chopped fresh tomatoes and basil.

13.5% alcohol and $13. 

3 comments:

Marginalia said...

Just my luck. Having recently stopped drinking I hit upon your site.

Marginalia said...

By the way I thought of following your blog but I'm not that much of a masochist.

P.S. I've a nice 200 year old D'Yquem: a snip at $200k.

Dan McGrew said...

Marginalia,

Sorry, but limit is 180K. :-)