Thursday, May 8, 2014

2010 Erath Pinot Noir

"Writing in my sixty-fourth year, I can truthfully say that since I reached the age of discretion I have consistently drunk more than most people would say is good for me. Nor did I regret it. Wine has been for me a firm friend and a wise counselor. Often...wine has shown me matters in their true perspective, and has, as though by the touch of a magic wand, reduced great disasters to small inconveniences. Wine has lit up for me the pages of literature, and revealed in life romance lurking in the commonplace. Wine has made me bold but not foolish; has induced me to say silly things but not to do them."
- Duff Cooper, "Old Men Forget"
The 2010 Erath Pinot Noir from Oregon is easy to love.  Fresh red fruit and a sense of earth pour out of the glass when swirling it.  Lip smacking cherry flavors and that sense of earth are in the flavors and there is just enough tannin and acid to bring the whole thing together nicely.  More savory than sweet.  A small tri tip done on the grill with minimal seasoning and some fresh pasta in a brown butter and sage sauce made thing even better.

2010 Erath Pinot Noir, Oregon.  $20 and 13% alcohol.

No comments: