Thursday, December 18, 2014

Judgement Reserved

I made my first attempt at something other than a bland jug wine last night with some fish.  The wine was a 2011 Domaine de la Furonniere Muscadet.  The color was bright and clear and inviting and the aromas were wonderful and full of tart fruit, sea spray and minerality.  I was extremely excited because I was in love with the aromas and was hoping for the same with the taste.

Sadly, the taste buds have not recovered to the point that my sense of smell has.   The first two sips were very good, but by the third sip it became mostly the acid that I could sense.  Even the fish, a piece of pan seared Alaskan cod, could not mellow things out.   I'm making progress but still have some time to go to recover my tasting abilities.  I switched back to the thing that tastes the best to me at this point, a glass of San Pelligrino sparkling mineral water on ice with the juice of half of a key lime squeezed in for taste.

Judgement totally reserved on the wine - and there are two more in the cellar.

2011 Domaine de la Furonniere Muscadet.  12% alcohol and $14.

No comments: