Monday, December 29, 2014

Some Progress

A little more progress to report on the recovery of my taste buds -- they are playing mean tricks on me.  There was a sparkling wine tasting two days ago at a local wine store.  I was there for another reason, but they offered a discount since I just wanted a sip.  I liked the all the wines they were pouring but two were my clear favorites, and they were the two cheapest.  They were two wines I  drank before and was not overly thrilled with.  This time they were my two favorites because the subtleties in the higher priced sparkling wines still escape me. But these two I enjoyed.

The two wines were the pictured Piper Sonoma Blanc de Blanc from California and the Gruet Blanc de Noir from New Mexico.  Both were on Christmas special for $15 and $17 respectively.  They were light and fresh and pleasing.  The Piper Sonoma was more crisp while the Gruet, with it's pinot noir shining through, had a bit more fruit and body.  The Piper will be the New Year's Day sipper here.

So I have progressed to liking cheaper wine.  For the pocketbook that is a good thing, but I'm still waiting for full recovery to get back to drinking better wine.

No comments: