Monday, December 1, 2014

The Cellar Door is Closed


For the next couple of weeks this blog will probably be off topic most of the time. The course of medication and treatment for a recently diagnosed problem has temporarily ruined my sense of taste.  I am very good with recognizing salt and tannin, but not much else.  Even a usually lifeless glass of unoaked red wine made me understand what a beaver tastes when it is gnawing on a tree.  White wines taste like sucking on a lemon.   Food is mostly bland and uninteresting.

The cellar door is closed until some sense of taste returns.  There are some notes on wines that never made it into this blog and they may be revised and published, but new bottles are off limits for two weeks.

The good news is that I have been promised that things should be back to normal by mid December - just in time for some good wines over the holidays.  The better news is that the course of treatment is working.  The bad news is that pictures of great food and wine only make me hungrier and more thirsty. 

The rabbit above was several weeks ago.  A neighbor dropped two off at the house and they had already been cleaned and brined to remove the blood.  I vivisected the bunny and it went into the oven with the carrots, olive oil, butter, rosemary, thyme, shallots and garlic for about thirty five minutes.  Good meal.  The rabbit's partner is currently in the freezer.

1 comment:

Edward said...

Dan, this is always one of my fears, loss of smell and taste. I'm glad things seem to be settling. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Edward.