Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

What a disaster the week was at work, but it is ending well.

With what should have been a 32 hour week leading up to the Fourth of July, I managed to log just shy of 60 hours because the marketing department suffered a case of cranial/rectal inversion and there was no one around to tell them they were insane. The week included almost 18 hours yesterday, but a mere 8 hours today which was the official holiday. Scott and Ellie were upset because they were convinced I didn't love them any more.The weather is very unlike early July here with the high temperature reaching only into the mid 60 degree range today instead of the usual, upper 80 degree range. It also rained for most of the day. With that in mind, I managed to sneak home at lunch and throw a chuck roast in a low oven to braise the afternoon way. When I got home for the evening it was perfectly done and the only thing left to do was boil some egg pasta and make some fresh gremolata to toss over the finished product.

There were two additional chores. First, I fed the dogs and poured some of the braising liquid over their kibble, and added a couple of the carrots from the braising liquid. They are convinced I still care about them, though they are still plopping their heads in my lap as a reminder as I type this entry.

Immediately following that I put a 2005 Vina Alarba Old Vines Grenache in the fridge to chill for a few minutes and poured a glass of 2007 Verget de Sud Rose of Syrah, Vin de Pays that was already in the fridge. The rose was a welcome, bright and fresh antidote for the week and the grenache was perfect with the braised roast.

Tomorrow is the real party for the holiday as there is a ten pound, wild, Alaskan sockeye salmon waiting to go on the grill and some pinot noir and Beaujolais to taste along side it. Yes, there will be friends to help eat the fish.

There will be a glass of Scottish whisky to end the evening for an additional celebration. Yesterday (July 3) would have been my parents 70th wedding anniversary. That deserves more than a glass, but any more than that and I will fall asleep in the recliner.

No comments: