Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sawtooth Ale

Long, hot, busy day at work yesterday and by the time I got home the last thing I wanted to do was cook. There was some breast meat left on a chicken carcass and some leftover fennel, apple and juniper berry slaw. The chicken had been earmarked for the stock pot, but there was enough meat left on it for a light snack so the dogs and I picked the carcass clean. I ate the good parts and they got bites of rest.

There were a couple of bottles of open wine in the fridge with a vacuum stopper in them, but I was also very thirsty. There were also two bottles left from a six-pack of Left Hand Brewing Company's Sawtooth Ale sitting in the fridge, so off came the top of one of those.

This is a brewery in Longmont CO, and since I have friends that live in Longmont and frequent the place I own a couple of glasses, a hat and T-shirt with the logo on it. Their Sawtooth Ale is a British bitters style beer. Tart, sharp, low alcohol and imminently refreshing and that was just what I wanted and needed.

A month or so ago the New York Times did a tasting of this style of beer and the Sawtooth was the panel's favorite. Good choice, and it was so refreshing I drank the second one.

No comments: