Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wrongo Dongo

I generally have a base standard that prohibits me from buying a wine with a cute animal on the label or too crazy a name. I actually like wine and not marketing strategies.

After reading a couple of recommendations I found this 2007 Wrongo Dongo on sale for $7 a bottle. That's a price point that blurs that base standard a little. Since I've had good luck with Spanish wines, and this one is from Jumilla, I brought a bottle home. Last night it was opened with the last of the prime rib from Christmas Day +1.

The nose was fully ripe cherries and plums and some clean, dry dirt. All kinds of ripe cherries popped out on the taste with good acid and some grape tannin. The wine is 100% Monastrell (Mourvedre) and there wasn't even a hint of oak in the wine. The finish was pleasant and soft with just a little more fruit at the very end. 13% alcohol.

I won't even try to explain the label. Nice little wine despite the name.

No comments: