Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Vaucoupin

To go with the swordfish below there was a wine that was somewhat new to me, a 2009 Jean Pierre and Alexandre Ellevin Premier Cru Chablis, Vaucoupin.  The producer was new to me as was the specific premier cru.

This wine had everything that makes a for good Chablis, bright color, wonderful dry aromas, good fruit, great acid and a sense of minerality at the finish.  Sad to say that sometimes it is how you put those parts together, and in this sense the wine fell flat.  Chablis always excites me and this one just seemed ordinary.  It was drinkable, it tasted fine with the fish, but it just tasted ordinary and generic.

I would have been somewhat disappointed if this had been a regular Chablis, but this was a premier cru Chablis and that made it a major disappointment. The Pouilly Fume discussed below was half the price and that wine was alive with energy and I would choose it every time.

If I see this producer again I'll try another bottle because I don't believe this was intentional on their part.  Let's call this a bad bottle and let it go at that.

13% alcohol and $32

No comments: