Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bordeaux

I went against my usual practices the other day.  I was braising some duck legs and vegetables and almost always I opt for a Burgundy or a pinot noir with that dish.   This time I went with a Bordeaux, a 2006 Chateau Larose-Trintaudon, an Haut Medoc cru bourgeois.  The wine was 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot and per the label spent a year in oak barrels.

This was a brick red wine with beautiful aromas of dark cherries and raspberries and just a touch of vanilla.  Medium body and mouth feel led to a strong black raspberry and cherry taste.  The taste was deeper than the bouquet led me to expect.  Good length and a soft, dry finish to this wine.  It was very good with the duck, but two days later the remains were even better with some braised short ribs.

This was a very fairly priced wine with true Bordeaux character and a wine that didn't try to be more than a sound, drinkable wine.

2006 Ch. Larose-Trintaudon, Haut Medoc cru bourgeois.  13% alcohol and $18.

No comments: