Saturday, June 19, 2010

2008 Moreau Chablis

The 2008 vintage from Chablis is arriving in the marketplace and the reviews on the vintage as a whole are outstanding.  The latest to chime is is The Wall Street Journal.

Several weeks ago I ordered some wine from New York and among those that I ordered were two bottles of the Christian Moreau offering from the 2008 vintage.  I was quite pleased to read the following in the Journal from Lettie Teague...
One of my favorite producers, Christian Moreau, was positively voluble on the quality of his 2008 wines. I loved the spare, elegant 2008 Christian Moreau Valmur Grand Cru at $65 a bottle. “They are wines to age,” Mr. Moreau declared.
I didn't order the Valmur but I can attest to the fact that I fell I love with his simple Chablis.  Tart and  restrained on the nose the wines was full of that special minerality that I love in Chablis.  The fruit was sharp and focused and there was that tight edge of acid that makes a well made Chablis my favorite white wine of them all.  There were some oysters to accompany the wine and a pan seared halibut fillet to fill in around the oysters.   Little else was needed but there were a couple of crusty rolls to break apart and soak up the juices left on the plate.  Life can be very good.

No comments: