Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Assyrtiko

My only experience with Greek wine was many many years ago at the bachelor party for a Greek fraternity brother of mine, and I didn't care for it.  It was quite an event.  I vaguely remember the belly dancer making an appearance before the Ouzo started flowing.  I remember very little about the next two days other than they seemed to be the starting point for a fifteen year aversion to anything anise flavored.

My thoughts about the Greek Wine Cellars 2010 Assyrtiko from the island of Santorini are much better and are ones I wouldn't mind repeating.  Light, pale golden color with just a touch of green in the glass.  Wonderful aromas of citrus and  the tartest, chilled green grapes in the nose.   Citrusy flavors with limestone notes that I finally decided made it a cross between a Chablis and a Muscadet. 

Totally refreshing with some grilled shrimp and couscous laced with fresh oregano and Kalamata olives and a tiny bit of feta.  Briny taste sensations when sipped with the shrimp, but a much earthier taste following a bite of couscous.  Good wine.

12.4% alcohol and $14. 

No comments: